Am I required to Register and seek Permission to be in the State?
Yes. It is a requirement for non-EEA students who intend staying in Ireland for more than 90 days to register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).
This can be done at the main Garda National Immigration Bureau Office at 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, or with the Immigration Officer in the area in which you are residing
Please Note: It is the responsibility of the student to satisfy the requirements set out in this section. Where a student fails to satisfy these requirements then they will not be registered.
What happens when I register?
When you register with GNIB you will be required to provide proof of the following-
• that the students enrolled on a privately funded course in the Degree Programme which is included in Internationalisation Register administered by the NQAI;
• a Letter of Acceptance from the college, confirming you have been accepted and enrolled on a course of full-time day-time education;
• you must have proof that fees have been paid to the college. Where your fees are below €6,000, the full amount of the fees must be paid in advance. Where your fees exceed €6,000 then at least this amount must be paid in advance;
• a bank statement, from an Irish bank, showing that from 1 April 2011 you have access to €3,000 at first registration, to support yourself, live in Ireland without going into business or getting a job, or availing of any State Benefits.
• students are required to have private medical insurance at time of registration. Thereafter at every subsequent registration students are required to have proof that they were in possession of private medical insurance for all of the previous registration period for example by way of a letter of renewal. Travel insurance will not be accepted.
Upon successful registration a student will be given a certificate of registration indicating that you have been given an immigration permission allowing you to study in the State.
The registration will be for one year and will be renewable on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 7 years.
There is currently a charge of €150 each time you register.