Can I extend my stay as a student?
You may only stay in Ireland as a student for a maximum aggregate time of 7 years
Can I stay in Ireland after I complete my studies to seek employment?
It may be possible to stay in Ireland after you complete your studies for the purpose of seeking employment under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme. This scheme exists to allow legally resident non EEA third level graduates to remain in Ireland for the purpose of seeking employment and applying for a green card or work permit.
During the period of permission under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme a student can work full time (up to 40 hours per week)
- The permission the student will have will remain that of a student
- The permission under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme is non renewable
- A student can only avail of the Third Level Graduate Scheme once.
- Once a student has availed of the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme they are not permitted to re-enter full time education and to be registered as a student at the end of the period.
One Year Permission under the Third Level Graduate Scheme Permission
To be eligible for a one year permission under the Third Level Graduate Scheme a student is required to have
- studied in Ireland and completed a qualification at Level NFQ 8-10
- an award granted by a recognised Irish awarding body (overseas accreditation will not be accepted), i.e
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Higher Education Training and Awards Council
- Institutes of Technology with delegated authority
- Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
- Other bodies that have statutory award-making powers in Irish law
Six Month Permission under the Third Level Graduate Scheme
A six month permission under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme is available to students who have graduated a course at Level 7 of the NFQ
Can I switch to work permit employment when I am in Ireland to study?
Permission to work is granted by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation. Check their website for details on how to obtain a working permit
I have completed 3 years in a Language or Non Degree course Can I stay in Ireland after I complete my studies to seek employment?
No it is not permissible for you to stay in Ireland after your course to seek employment.
You may only extend your stay in Ireland if you enrol in a course in the Degree Programme i.e. a course leading to a major award or equivalent at or above Level 7 of the NFQ.